Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Where do we draw the line?

I can tell I must be getting older as I am finding I get more upset over articles I see in the news.......

Case in point #1: Lions club has boxes all over to collect your old glasses to help those who can not afford them. My thoughts? GREAT! What a good way to use glasses and frames that you can no longer used and that someone else may with adjustment have clear vision from. Next I see an article on it on the local news channel and what do I find out? That the glasses aren't being used to help the underprivileged here in the U.S., they are being taken overseas to help in countries like Ethiopia...........

Case in point #2: Congress wants another 81 BILLION dollars for the war in IRAQ..........hello???? we never should have been there, where is this money coming from and what about our own problems with poverty, education, welfare reform, social security, etc?????
I have problems with budgets being cut for helping our citizens so we can keep spending money rebuilding and protecting another country? What about other countries helping out with all this money? We aren't the RICH POWERFUL BIG BROTHER anymore....(oh yeah, I forgot....all the other countries think we shouldn't have been there too.....)

My issue is not with helping others, but that we have to help the people in our country first. When we don't have a TRILLION dollar debt that my children and their children will have to deal with, when we don't have to do budget cuts and have to worry about social security being insolvent and education going downhill, etc.....THEN we can help others.......

Funny how all classes you go to on your personal spending say "SAVE your portion for the future FIRST.....next, pay down debt.....next, live within your means.....THEN help others"......I'm tired of seeing all our efforts go to other countries and not helping the people in our own first!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home